James Cameron tells fitting his ideas into three sequels was too “limiting,” declaring the first instalment for December 2018.
#Avatar director and writer James Cameron has assured fans four sequels, alternately of the previously-planned three.
Fox plans to deliver the first of the sequels series at the end of 2018, with the others in 2020, 2022 and 2023, according to The Hollywood Journalist.
Cameron made the statement when he appeared as a surprise guest at Fox’s CinemaCon in Las Vegas on Thursday.
The filmmaker said he had noticed the idea of three sequels to be limiting.
“We began to bump up against the limitations of our art form,” he said, revealing that he needed more parts to tell the whole story.
“I’ve been working the last couple of years with partners of four top screenwriters,” he said, “to design the world of Avatar going forward: the characters, the creatures, the environment, the new cultures.
“So far, the art I’m seeing is, in pure invention, really far beyond the first film,” he added. “It’s going to be a truly epic saga.”
He will also be praying that the films’ box office takings can be equal as epic – the original in 2009 earned $2.8bn (£1.98bn) worldwide.
Ad Blocker Detected
Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors. Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.